Jericho, Dead Sea and the Jordan River Tour
This Biblical tour takes you down below sea level to the Dead Sea region. Here you will see the dramatic desert landscape and visit Biblical, natural and historical sites. The tour takes you to Tel Jericho, the excavated original Jericho settlement; Elisha Spring that provided a vital water source to the people of Jericho and to the sycamore tree in Jericho which is mentioned in the Bible. Then, ride a cable car up to visit a Mount Temptation and the baptismal site of Qaser el Yahud where you can be baptized in the Jordan River. Then enjoy time on one of the Dead Sea’s best beaches.
We begin this tour with a drive through the hills of the Judaean Desert. Our route takes us southwards from Jerusalem down the winding mountain roads until we are below sea level. On the way, we pass by the Inn of the Good Samaritan, the legendary setting of the parable of Jesus. Once we reach the sign indicating Sea Level, we make a short halt. This spot offers stunning views across the desert.
We continue our drive and descend into the ancient city of Jericho located at the northern end of the Dead Sea. This desert oasis city is the lowest city in the world and said to be the oldest continually inhabited city in the world. The Old Testament tells us of the walls of Jericho which fell when Joshua’s troops marched around the walls for seven days. Jericho also features in the Book of Mark when Jesus healed a blind man as he left the city. Entering Jericho we visit the site of another Biblical event – the famous sycamore tree on which Zacchaeus is said to have climbed to get a better view of Jesus when he entered the city surrounded by followers. From Jericho, we make our way to the Mount of Temptation. This is said to be where Jesus retreated to meditate in the wilderness. While here the Devil tried to tempt Jesus to forsake God (Matthew 4:8). Halfway up the side of this 366-meter high peak is the Greek Orthodox Monastery of the Temptation.
We take a cable car to move further up to the top of the mount from where one can enjoy a beautiful panoramic view of the desert as well as the Dead Sea. We also take a tour of the monastery before continuing our journey to the site alongside River Jordan where Jesus is said to have been baptized. Qasr el Yahud or the Castle of the Jews is also thought to have been the place where the Israelites crossed the Jordan into the Promised Land and where the Prophet Elijah ascended to heaven. If you make a visit here, you may have the opportunity to be baptized in the Jordan River.
From here we proceed towards our last stop on this tour, namely, the Dead Sea. We make our way to one of the best beaches of the Dead Sea and enjoy the therapeutic benefits of the natural minerals that make up the rich waters of this salt lake. With the Dead Sea’s high saline content you can float on the water. The black Dead Sea mud also makes a natural health and beauty pack. The halt here marks a most refreshing and relaxing end to our journey.
Pickup Places and Prices
|From||Pick up time||Price|
|Sun S||Mon M||Tue T||Wed W||Thu T||Fri F||Sat S|
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off service
- A fully qualified and licensed tour guide
- Transport by air-conditioned vehicle
- Entrance fees
- Food and drinks
- The day tours schedule is subject to change in accordance with government guidelines for travelers during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Recommended to bring hats, bathing suit, towels, sun protection
- Passport compulsory for visit to Jericho
- Tour requires a minimum number of participants
- It is possible to have pick ups / drop offs in different cities. However, we do not disperse to specific drop off locations
- Baptism with a priest in the Jordan River – Our company does not participate in organizing a baptism with a priest
- Booking is subject to terms and conditions
- Cancellation fee of 4% charged for notification up to 2 days in advance
- Cancellation fee of 25% charged for notification up to 1 days in advance
- Cancellation fee of 100% charged for notification on the day of the tour
- Non Show – 100% Cancellation fees
Why Click Tours?
- Quality tours led by expert tour leaders
- Hassle-free & seamless travel experience
- Quality & value for your money
- Friendly Customer Service & Your Own Travel Advisor
- Flexible tour options
- Wide Range of Services