Bethlehem and Jericho Tour
Tour the biblical sites of Bethlehem and Jericho during this full-day, guided, religious tour. Drive through the Judean Desert bound for Jericho, the ancient city 846 feet (258 meters) below sea level. In the Judean Mountains, is Bethlehem where you’ll stop at the Church of the Nativity restored in the 6th century. Here, see the Grotto of the Nativity before visiting the Crusader Church of Saint Catherine.
- Guided religious tour to key sites mentioned in the Old and New Testament.
- See the city of Jericho and pass by the Dead Sea.
- Visit Bethlehem and stop at the Church of the Nativity.
We drove south from Jerusalem in the direction of the Dead Sea. We passed the Inn of the Good Samaritan on our way as we continued to explore the Biblical wilderness of the Judaean Desert. We pass Wadi Qelt. In the distance, the 5th-century Monastery of Saint George becomes visible. We decided to halt at the mark indicating that we have reached "sea level".
From here we continued to drive towards the biblical city of Jericho. Situated at 258 meters below sea level, this ancient city features in both the New and Old Testament. It is believed that Joshua led his troops around the city walls until they fell and Jesus entered Jericho after his sojourn in the wilderness. When Jesus entered Jericho, the City of Palms, the tax collector Zacchaeus is said to have climbed up a sycamore tree to get a better look at him.We made a visit to this legendary ancient tree. We also made a quick stop at Mount Temptation where Jesus is said to have spent forty days and forty nights fighting off the devil’s attempt to turn him against God. It is here that he is believed to have said, "Man shall not live by bread alone". On our return journey, we drove through Jerusalem and the Judaean Mountains where we visited Bethlehem, both the home of Jesse, King David's father and the place where Jesus was born.
From Manger Square, we entered through a small door into the Church of the Nativity. The church was built in the 4th century over the grotto where Jesus is believed to have been born. Later in the 6th century, the church was reconstructed. In recent times the church has been restored and renovated. Within the church is the Grotto of the Nativity where a star marks the spot where Jesus was born and an altar to the three Wise Men.
Next, we made a visit to the Crusader Church of Saint Catherine and toured the underground grotto where Saint Jerome is said to have painstakingly translated the Bible from Hebrew to Latin, creating the Vulgate. We made one last stop in Bethlehem - at the Shepherds Field where an Angel of the Lord is said to have appeared to shepherds on Christmas night to tell them of the imminent birth of the savior.
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off service
- A fully qualified and licensed tour guide
- Transport by air-conditioned vehicle
- Includes all entrance fees
- Food and drinks
- Insurance of any kind
• Choose your tour language: English, Spanish, French or German.
• Confirmation will be received at time of booking. Guaranteed departure!
• Passport compulsory.
• Comfortable walking shoes and water are recommended.
• Modest dress is obligatory for visits to holy sites; covered knees and shoulders.
• Visit to Bethlehem: due to the high number of visitors, entrance to the Nativity Cave may be limited.
• Jericho guiding is in English only.
• Booking is subject to terms and conditions.
Pickup Places and Prices
• Cancellation fee of 4% charged for notification up to 2 days in advance.
• Cancellation fee of 25% charged for notification up to 1 days in advance.
• Cancellation fee of 100% charged for notification on the day of the tour.
• Non Show - 100% Cancellation fees.