Masada and Dead Sea Day Tour
Check off two of Israel’s signature sights, the cliff-top fortress at Masada and the hyper-buoyant waters of the Dead Sea, in just one day on this guided tour. Learn about Masada’s tragic history as you ride the cable car, then wade in the Dead Sea’s soft clay and float in its mineral-rich waters. Along the way, catch sight of Jericho, Qumran, Ein Gedi, and the Inn of the Good Samaritan.
We begin an exciting journey of the Dead Sea and the Masada that goes via the Judean hills south of Jerusalem. The Masada tour passes the Good Samaritan Inn and stops beside the sea-level indicator. The journey goes down to the Dead Sea at the lowest place on the earth from that point down below sea level.
The excursion goes along the shores of the Dead Sea with turquoise water bordered by a crust of white salt. We stop at Masada first on the tour, a “mesa” or rocky outcrop that rises 450m from the plains of the desert. We take a cable car to the peak of the plateau of Masada where the views of the Dead Sea are magnificent. On Masada, we visit the remains of the palace fortification of King Herod that was built between 37-31 BC.
Herod’s fortress excavated palaces, a bathhouse, guardhouses, water cisterns, storerooms, as well murals, and mosaics. The constructions have been well-preserved thanks to the dry climate and the distant location. About 100 years later a group of Jewish zealots found sanctuary in Masada during the First Jewish-Roman War (66–73 CE).
For several months the Romans kept their seats until the Romans erected a steep cliff ramp. After Roman soldiers reached the summit, they discovered that all 960 Jews had murdered themselves instead of being caught and forced to abandon their God. The event has rendered Masada a symbol of Jewish willingness not to surrender their freedom throughout Jewish history.
The tour leaves Masada and takes you to the nearby Dead Sea past Ein Gedi and Qumran, site of the Dead Sea Scroll discovery. We will stop at the Dead Sea Mineral Cosmetic Factory if time permits. The Dead Sea is our final stop on this journey where you can relax and unwind on the beach. Take advantage of the Dead Sea natural health benefits, including salt-rich water, oxygen-rich air, and mineral-rich black mud that provide a natural skin mask.
Don’t take leave without getting a photograph of yourself floating on the Dead sea!
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off service
- A fully qualified and licensed tour guide
- Transport by air-conditioned vehicle
- Cable car and entrance fees
- Food and drinks
- Guaranteed departure
- Recommended to bring hats, bathing suit, towels, sun protection
- It is possible to have pick ups / drop offs in different cities. However, we do not disperse to specific drop off locations
- Booking is subject to terms and conditions
- Cancellation fee of 4% charged for notification up to 2 days in advance
- Cancellation fee of 25% charged for notification up to 1 days in advance
- Cancellation fee of 100% charged for notification on the day of the tour
- Non Show – 100% Cancellation fees