Jerusalem Temple Mount & Dome of the Rock Tour
This tour starts with a complimentary hotel pick-up. You are taken to the Mount of Olives for a panoramic view across the Jerusalem skyline. From here you can see into the Old City, Temple Mount and across Jerusalem’s oldest Jewish cemetery. The cemetery dates back 3,000 years and is still used today; there are approximately 70,000-300,000 graves here.
We descend the Mount of Olives to the Kidron Valley that is situated between the Mount of Olives and the walls of the Old City. Walking through the Kidron Valley we see the monumental tombs of Avshalom; the Tomb of Zechariah and the Tomb of Benei Hezir. The valley features in the Torah several times including when King David fled from Avshalom (Samuel II).
We reach the Old City and enter through the 16th century Dung Gate set in the Old City walls. From here we proceed to Temple Mount where the first holy Temple or Solomon’s Temple stood until being destroyed by Nebuchadnezzar in 587BC. The Second Temple stood on the same site from 516BC to 70AD when it was destroyed by the Romans. Today Temple Mount is home to the Dome of the Rock and Al-Aqsa Mosque. Visitors entering Temple Mount are subject to strict security checks and no religious objects or weapons are admitted. See the magnificent golden dome up-close; the Al-Aqsa Mosque mentioned in the Koran and the Dome of Chains. Learn about the mount’s incredible history and why it is sacred.
Temple Mount is occasionally closed to visitors for security reasons. In the event that it is closed (and only if Temple Mount is closed) we will visit the Tower of David instead. The Tower of David or Jerusalem Citadel stands at Jaffa Gate and is a symbol of the city. The present structure dates back to the Mamluk and Ottoman periods although the site’s history can be traced back thousands of years. In the citadel we will see important archaeological findings and enjoy brilliant views from the Citadel lookout point.
After Temple Mount (or the Tower of David if Temple Mount is closed) our next stop is the Davidson Center, an archaeological park adjacent to Temple Mount where excavations have uncovered the walls of the city from the First Temple Period; steps that led up to Temple Mount; grand arches; Second Temple Period streets and ritual baths. You can see where Jerusalem’s main shopping street would have been during the Second Temple Period and enjoy displays in the Davidson Center Museum. The tour ends when you are returned to your hotel.
- Pick-up and drop-off service
- A fully qualified and licensed tour guide
- Transport by air-conditioned vehicle
- Food and drinks
- Entrance fees
- The day tours schedule is subject to change in accordance with government guidelines for travelers during the COVID-19 pandemic
- In the event that Temple Mount is closed to visitors, we will tour the Tower of David
- Modest dress is obligatory for visits to holy sites; covered knees and shoulders
- This tour operates with a minimum number of participants
- Entrance to Temple Mount is subject to strict security measures
- Security checks are conducted at the entrance to Temple Mount.
- Please note that no religious objects (including Bible) or weapons of any kind are permitted on Temple Mount
- The tour proceeds on foot through the Kidron Valley and Old City; a minimum level of physical fitness is required
- Entrance to Dome of the Rock is allowed for Muslims only
- Booking is subject to terms and conditions
- Cancellation fee of 4% charged for notification up to 2 days in advance
- Cancellation fee of 25% charged for notification up to 1 days in advance
- Cancellation fee of 100% charged for notification on the day of the tour
- Non Show – 100% Cancellation fees