Your Complete Guide to the Christian Holy Sites of Israel
No matter what religious faith you may practice, the numerous holy sites located throughout Israel should be on your list of destinations to visit. From Galilee, to Jericho, to the city of Jerusalem, Israel is home to many sacred places where Biblical events of historical and religious significance occurred. Plan an awe-inspiring and unforgettable pilgrimage to the Promised Land today.
Jerusalem – A Holy City
Jesus Christ spent his final week of his life in Jerusalem prior to being crucified. This is an important destination that is always included in the best religious tours of Israel. If you can only visit one location in Israel, you should choose to visit Jerusalem, a city teeming with historical and religious significance. If you choose to take a tour of Israel, with a experienced and highly rated guide, you’ll be able to cover a lot of ground and visit many places you may not have been able to find on your own.
- Church of the Holy Sepulchre – This is most certainly the top destination in Israel for Christians. This stunning church, dating back to the 4th century, houses the last Stations of the Cross, such as Golgotha and Christ’s tomb.
- Via Dolorosa – Travelling the same route taken by Jesus as he bore his cross to Calvary is an experience like no other. You’ll journey through Jerusalem’s Old City, stopping at the Stations of the Cross along the way.
- Church of All Nations – Make sure you don’t miss out on the chance to visit this spectacular church, also known as the Basilica of Agony, featuring a golden mosaic on its facade. It is located on the Mount of Olives with the Garden of Gethsemane.
- Dormition Abbey – Perched on Mount Zion outside the city walls, this large and impressive holy site is both an abbey and church.
- Garden Tomb – According to Protestant belief, this rock-cut tomb among a tranquil garden is the location of Jesus Christ’s burial site. You can visit the sacred tomb by signing up for a tour of Jerusalem.
- Dominus Flevit – This significant Christian landmark on the Mount of Olives features breathtaking views of the Old City of Jerusalem, and you can imagine a weeping Jesus looking out over the city from this location.
- Mount of Olives – Of course, this location is a highlight on any trip to Jerusalem as it includes several important holy sites. Here, you’ll have a chance to tour several churches, such as the Pater Noster Church and the Chapel of the Ascension.
Join our Jerusalem Day Tours to visit these important destinations, a teeming with historical and religious significance.
Essential Christian Sites Among the Fertile Lands of Galilee
Travel to the Sea of Galilee in northern Israel for a tour of beautiful scenery and picturesque landscapes. Here, Jesus’ ministry was carried out as he recruited the apostles and travelled among the villages, sharing the word of God with many and performing incredible miracles.
Capernaum – The base of Jesus’ ministry was located in this ancient fishing village, located on the northern portion of the Sea of Galilee. This village is also home to an ancient synagogue where Jesus may have given sermons.
- Church of Annunciation – One of Israel’s most sacred and significant holy sites, this is where the Angel Gabriel visited Mary and told of her future – giving birth to the Messiah. Located in Nazareth, this stop will be included in many tours of Galilee.
- Jordan River Baptismal Site (Yardenit) – Many individuals in Christian pilgrimages will stop here the opportunity to be baptized in the same waters as Jesus.
- Church of the Multiplication – Here, as you visit Tabgha, you’ll have the chance to visit the exact location where Jesus multiplied the bread loaves and fish among thousands.
- Mount of Beatitudes – This location offers stunning views over the Sea of Galilee, as well as the spectacular Church of the Beatitudes.
- The Wedding Church – This location was built to commemorate the famous miracle in which Jesus attended a wedding and turned water into wine. Many Christian tours of Israel include this destination.
- Magdala – Wander through the ancient remains of this city, located along the shore of Galilee and learn about its history as a fishing town of the Bible where Mary Magdalene lived.
Children worldwide are taught the story of the night before Christmas when Jesus was born in Bethlehem. Taking a tour of this famous city will allow you the chance to see the location of Christ’s birth. Your tour guide will be sure to take care of all the details, ensuring an enjoyable and convenient trip to many sacred places in this city.
- Nativity Church – Experience an emotional moment as you stand before the very location at which Mary gave birth to Jesus Christ. Many visitors report this as one of their most significant experiences while in Israel.
- Shepherds’ Fields – En route to Bethlehem, many Christian tours will pass by this spot where 2,000 years ago, the shepherds watched their sheep on the night of the first Christmas Eve in Israel.
- Milk Grotto – This little, serene grotto is the location where Mary nursed baby Jesus. This memorable holy site is the perfect place to spend some time reflecting.
- Church of St. Catherine – Hidden beneath this church are the underground crypts that visitors can explore. This is also the location of Midnight Mass celebration on Christmas Eve. This church is located at the very spot where Jesus experienced an apparition foretelling the future martyrdom of St. Catherine.
- Manger Square – Here, take a minute to imagine being transported back in time to 2,000 years ago as Mary and Joseph arrived to Bethlehem in the night. Several ancient churches are also located here.
Jericho – The Perfect Bonus to Your Tour of Israel
One of the most ancient cities in Israel, Jericho is the location of the famous Bible story in which Joshua and his troops march around the walls of Jericho until they collapse. Jesus also performed a few miracles here as he travelled through. Today, Jericho is a Palestinian, located in the West Bank close to the Dead Sea. If you are looking for a quick, safe and simple way to visit this historic city, sign-up for a guided tour.
- Qasr El-Yehud – Jericho is also located near the Jordan River and the location where Christ was baptized by John. You can take this chance to be baptized there as well.
I’ve you ever wished to see the locations where Jesus’ life and ministry took place, book a Christian tour of Israel today to see the Promised Land’s many holy sites.